In the early days it was very difficult to access Highgate so, as early as 1805, new roads were proposed.
One early proposal was a road, crossing Parliament Hill Fields and Kenwood.
Another was a strange proposal to tunnel under the foot of Highgate Hill and West Hill, proposed by Robert Vaizey, a Cornish mining engineer.
A modification of this - a single road road running north from Holloway Road was later proposed by him, part of which would be a tunnel.
The tunnel was actually started but it caved in and was abandoned.
Eventually, it was decided that a cutting should be made with an archway supporting Hornsey Lane and the latter was designed by John Nash.
Pedestrian traffic thence began in 1813 and it became a Toll road.
The arch was 36 feet high and surmounted by three circular arches that carried Hornsey Lane.
It was, however, only 16 feet wide within the archway itself.
Vaizey was responsible for two feeder roads, namely Junction Road, which leads from Kentish Town to The Archway Tavern and the New North Road.
With increased traffic, the old Archway needed to be replaced and in 1894 permissions were granted for the current single-span bridge of today.
This had a paved road of 24 feet.
The new Archway was opened in 1900.