The Bird In Hand was built around 1770 and then renovated in 1879. It closed down in the 1980s to become The Cafe Rouge.
Painted in 1900, the picture below shows Hampstead celebrating The "Relief Of Mafeking", where the siege had lasted 217 days, during The Boer War. 'The Bird In Hand' is on the right, where an horse drawn omnibus can be seen also. It's depot was just behind the pub.