Kenwood House was occupied by Grand Duke Michael Alexandrovich, younger brother of Czar Nicholas, who rented it for his family from 1909 to 1917.
The gravestones of two dogs owned by the Grand Duke can be seen in North Wood. (Kenwood Estate)
Although he renounced the throne after Czar Nicholas abdicated, he remained a marked man for the Bolshevic Revolutionaries after he had gone back to Russia.
In June 1918 he was abducted and shot by the Bolsheviks' secret police.
The gravestones can be seen on the left of the path which goes through North Wood by entering the path via Kenwood House's East Lodge (from Hampstead Lane) and taking a sharp right turn through the Prospect Hill portion of The Wood.