Evergreen Hill ~
Situated at Heath End, on The Spaniards Road, just beyond The Spaniards Inn and next to Erskine House.
It was originally owned by Rear-Admiral Sir William Parry, who died in 1855, and taken over by the Barnetts in 1889.
Dame Henrietta Octavia Weston Barnett (née Rowland), DBE (4 May 1851 – 10 June 1936) was a notable English social reformer and author.
She and her husband, Samuel Augustus Barnett, founded the first 'University Settlement' at Toynbee Hall (in the East End of London) in 1884.
A strong believer in the power of education to effect social change, she helped establish quite a few organizations.
The Metropolitan Association for Befriending Young Servants in 1875, the Children's Country Holiday Fund in 1884, and annual loan exhibitions of fine art at the Whitechapel Gallery, which was built in 1897 at the behest of the Barnetts were her main foundations.
Henrietta Barnett was also associated with the Hampstead area of north-west London, conceiving the idea of the model housing development of Hampstead Garden Suburb in 1904.
She worked with architects Raymond Unwin and Sir Edwin Lutyens and helped protect part of Hampstead Heath from development by Eton College
Henrietta Barnett also founded the Henrietta Barnett School in Hampstead Garden Suburb in 1911.
Henrietta Barnett also wrote many books and essays.
These included books on domestic economy (The Making of the Home 1885), physiology (The Making of the Body 1894), and social reform (Practicable Socialism 1888, Towards Social Reform 1909 – both with Samuel Barnett).
Samuel Barnett died in 1913.
Henrietta continued her work in Hampstead.
Although Henrietta never had children, she was the legal guardian of her elder sister Fanny, who had brain damage and Dorothy Woods, an adopted child.
Henrietta Barnet died in her Hampstead home in 1936.