FITZROY PARK - HAMPSTEAD HEATH - 2016***

Hampstead
Heath
2017
Go to content

Main menu:

FITZROY PARK

FITZROY PARK ~

Stretches from The Grove, Highgate, southwards towards the rear of the Kenwood Ladies' Pond, The Bird Sanctuary Pond and The Mens' Bathing Pond, where it meets Millfield Lane.

Fitzroy Park was originally the main drive into Fitzroy Farm ( behind The Ponds and on the left of Millfield Lane ) and "Beechwood" now stands on the original Farm which belonged to Charles Fitzroy, later Lord Southampton.

The original farm existed from Tudor times to 1923.

The present house called Fitzroy Farm is just behind The Kenwood Ladies' Swimming Pond in Millfield Lane.

Fotzroy House (ABOVE).
The allotments shown in the slides below are part of what was Fitzroy Park.

A large part of the original Park was bought by Lord Mansfield in 1840 to protect the east side of Kenwood from development.

(Fitzroy Park runs down between the two Cohen's Fields, at its lower end)

Plan of THE FITZROY FARM AND HIGHGATE ESTATE BEING A PORTION OF THE FREEHOLD GROUND RENTS OF THE LORD SOUTHAMPTON

Lithographer; Madeley
Medium; Lithograph, 584x699 Millimetres
Map Scale; 1" : 160 Feet (1 : 1920)
Survey Date; 1840
Shelfmark; Maps.Crace XIV, 53

This plan was produced for the sale of Lord Southampton's estate in 1840. 

The title and compass appear at lower left, with scale bar at the foot of the plate. 

The Earl of Mansfield, of Kenwood House in Hampstead, bought most of the lots at the auction held on 11 August 1840.

He stopped building applications being granted on these lots.

The blank diagrams on this plan thus represent proposed houses that were never built. 

Most of the land shown is still public open space, and was added to Hampstead Heath in the 1920s.

The Earl of Mansfield, of Kenwood House in Hampstead, bought most of the lots at the auction held on 11 August 1840.

He stopped building applications being granted on these lots.

The blank diagrams on this plan thus represent proposed houses that were never built.  Most of the land shown is still public open space, and was added to Hampstead Heath in the1920s.

Contemporary pictures of Fitzroy Park
Back to content | Back to main menu