Goodison Fountain, The East Heath - HAMPSTEAD HEATH - 2016***

Hampstead
Heath
2017
Go to content

Main menu:

Goodison Fountain, The East Heath

The Goodison Fountain was erected in 1929 and commemorates Henry Goodison, a leading light in the movement to save Kenwood



Arthur Crosfield (from Witanhurst), Robert Waley-Cohen (Caen Wood Towers, which became Athlone House) were co-opted by Henry E. Goodison (residing at Fitzroy Park) to form The Kenwood Preservation Society.


(see The City Of London's map to locate Goodison Fountain)

The Society negotiated the purchase of South Meadow and part of Lord Southampton's land, now known as Cohen's Fields.

The fountain is situated at the bottom of the upper Cohen's Field, just by Millfield Lane.

The water is very ferric in taste and surrounding the four masks are garlands of fruit with accompanying grass snake, hedgehog, mouse, owl, sqirrel and weasel.


Back to content | Back to main menu