The main hospital in Hampstead today is The Royal Free Hospital in Pond Street but Hampstead has had several hospitals throughout its history...
NEW END HOSPITAL ~
Nineteenth century workhouse hospital which was converted to a three-storey building 1850/1853.
Used as a military hospital in WW1 and a public hospital until 1968.
It became a geriatric hospital in 1974 and luxury flats replaced it in 1986
SMALLPOX HOSPITAL ~
Built in 1867 as one of five across London.
Situated in Lawn Road, Haverstock Hill and completed in 1870.
Due to local objections in 1885, the hospital was used only as a fever hospital.
Renamed The North West London Fever Hospital, it merged with The Royal Free Group in 1948.
The building was demolished in 1973.
HAMPSTEAD GENERAL HOSPITAL ~
Established in Parliament Hill in 1882.
In 1902 the hospital was merged The North West London Hospital in Camden.
It eventually took part of the land of The Fever Hospital and re-opened in 1905.
It was merged with The Royal Free in 1948 and the building was demolished in 1975 where The Royal Free Hospital is now.
THE CONSUMPTION HOSPITAL ~
Established in 1860 at what is now Stanfield House (junction of High Street and Prince Arthur Road).
In 1877, the building of a new hospital commenced at Mount Vernon.
The hospital moved to Northwood in 1904.
Mount Vernon was converted into luxury flats in the 1980s.