The Hill Garden And PERGOLA
consist of: The Hill Garden Bridge, The Central Temple Summer House, The Cruciform Pagoda, The Southern Pergola and Terrace, The Southern Summer House, The Western Pergola, The Western Summer House and The Hill Gardens, themselves.
The Pergola is a Georgian raised red brick building.
In the summer, The pergola is full of fragrant flowers including, jasmine, buddleia, sage, honeysuckle, vines, clematis, kiwi, potato vine, lavender and wisteria.
They were once part of the Inverforth House grounds and can be reached via paths at either side of Inverforth House in North End Way.
Other entrances can be reached via West Heath and Golders Hill Park (see map)
There are climber plants and each pillar has the name of the associated plant.
The pergola offers magnificent views of The Heath and surrounding areas.
The end section of the Pergola opens up in to the Hill Garden.
As you descend the pergola stairs you will see one of the heath's oldest and knobbliest trees - a sweet chestnut.
The Hill Garden offers a complete contrast to the wildness of The Pergola.
The garden is a favourite haunt for artists and those looking for a quiet place to read and relax.
There is an ornamental fish pond at the heart of the garden and at the far end there is a little alcove with a bench which gives a stunning view of The Heath with London as the backdrop.
The history of the Pergola goes back to 1904 when Lord Leverhulme, a wealthy philanthropist and lover of landscape gardening, purchased a large town house on the Heath called “The Hill”.
Over the following year Lord Leverhulme expanded his estate by acquiring the surrounding land, and with this new found space he decided to build a legacy: The Pergola.
Lord Leverhulme died in 1925 and the property was acquired in 1926 by Andrew Weir, first Baron Inverforth. Lord Inverforth lived at The Hill until his death in 1955, leaving the property to Manor House Hospital, who renamed the house 'Inverforth House' in his memory.
The pergola and gardens were restored and opened to the public in 1963 as 'The Hill Gardens'. The southern part of The Pergola was made available for public access in 1971 but was later closed after its condition became unsafe.
In 1991 the Hospital offered their part of the pergola to the Corporation of London, who had owned the north-western part of The Hill Gardens since the abolition of the Greater London Council.