On the 18th July 1925, King George V and Queen Mary came to Hampstead Heath to open Kenwood and the adjoining land purchased from the Kenwood Estate, by public subscription.
It included what is now the Kenwood Ladies’ Pond.
King George V and Queen Mary stood on a platform as buglers played and others stood around the platform.
The King and Queen had walked along the path, through the wood, talking to other dignitaries. Officials on the platform stood up as the King and Queen entered.
The Royal couple stood in front of two chairs and a lady gave the Queen a bouquet of flowers.
A clergyman spoke to the King and they sat down on the platform.
After the welcoming, the ceremony began with a prayer for everyone involved:
“…to preserve it [the Heath] from all defilement and impurity, and grant that those who visit this place may enjoy the fresh air and beauty of nature and being refreshed in body, mind and spirit, may cheerfully do their daily work”.
Then the King famously dedicated the Heath:
“…for all time for the use and enjoyment of the public”.
London's latest lung....Kenwood that:
"will give town bred children a glimpse of woods and meadowland"
Unfortunately, this lovely beech tree was destroyed by the St Judes Storm on 28/10/2013!
The tree was blighted in its roots, however, and would not have stood much longer.
The author retains this page for those wishing to visit the area.