LAUDERDALE HOUSE ~
Waterlow Park is formed from the grounds attached to three houses, Lauderdale House, Fairseat, and Hertford House.
The latter was pulled down in 1889 by the London County Council, after The Park was donated to the public.
The rear of The House contains an Upper Terrace, with giant Sundial and mostly paved and lawned, and a Lower Terrace, with fountain, colourful flower beds, shrubs, trees and bushes.
The Sundial is nineteenth century. It has giant wrought-iron frame set in twentieth century brick and stone surround. The hours are marked by surrounding carpet bedding. It is is a surviving feature of Sir Sydney Waterlow's formal garden.
The House itself consists of two storeys, the upper projecting beyond the lower.
An original house has been here since the sixteenth century but that was probably largely altered by John Maitland, 2ndEarl and 1st Duke of Lauderdale, in the time of Charles II.
The staircase is lit by an elaborate and beautifully designed lantern light.
The entrance hall is panelled with large panels of17th- or 18th-century type.
In the late eighteenth century, the whole garden area of the ground floor was converted into a long apartment, with pairs of columns at either end of the internal wall.
The upper storey was at the same time prolonged over a colonnaded loggia on the south-west.
The windows were replaced by sashes of the period, and the roofs were furnished with pediments.
The entrance has a porch supported by two Doric columns.
The building was taken over by the London County Council in1889.
Careful alterations were made, at the time, to the interior and its panelling and fittings.
The entrance hall is now a shelter for the public using Waterlow Park.
The long ground-floor space on the south-east is used as a cafe and the upper floors are used for staff accommodation.