The North London (later Mount Vernon) Hospital for Consumption and Diseases of the Chest was founded in 1860 in Fitzroy Square (St. Pancras), but moved to an old house at Mount Vernon, Hampstead, in 1864.
It kept an out-patients' clinic at no. 41 Fitzroy Square.
Apart from two private beds, the hospital took only patients who could not pay for treatment. From 1898 it received grants from the later King Edward's Fund. A building, designed by T. Roger Smith in 17th-century French Renaissance style, was built at Mount Vernon.
The western block with 34 beds was started in 1880 and the central block was opened in 1893, making a total of 80 beds, but only 60 were in use in 1898 owing to lack of funds.
A temporary extension was built in 1900 and the eastern block was completed in 1903, making a total of 140 beds.
Mount Vernon House was leased as a nurses' home.
In 1904 a new Mount Vernon hospital was opened at Northwood, where by 1913 it was decided to concentrate its work.
The Hampstead building was taken over by the Medical Research Council.