Early Photos and Illustrations of Hampstead Pubs and Taverns in past centuries
Visitors to Hampstead could catch coaches from The Black Swan in Holborn, The Blue Posts in Tottenham Court Road and from James' Street, Covent Garden.
Drinking Houses in Hampstead were The King's Head High Street (later named William IV Tavern), The Hawk, a small beer house in New End, The Perseverance, a Beer House at South End Green, The Cock & Crown, The Black Boy & Still and the Yorkshire Grey. There was a Noah's Ark and pubs rebuilt in later years were The White Horse at South End Green, The Horse & Groom, The Nag's Head, The Coach & Horses and The Three Horse Shoes...all in Hampstead High Street.
Other pubs were The Rosslyn Arms, Bird-In-Hand in the High Street, The Wells Tavern in Wells Walk (previously also called The Green Man), The Flask Tavern, The Upper Flaskin Heath Street and The Cock and Hoop at West End (pulled down in 1902).
Other pubs were The Black Lion, The White Bear at New End, The King Of Bohemia in the High Street, Jack Straw's Castle and The Bull & Bush.
Another old inn, demolished in 1868, was The Red Lion at the top of Rosslyn Hill.