Old Court House
Thomas Pool, who acquired Jack Straw's Castle in 1774, built two brick houses in 1788, which c. 1820 were converted into one house south of the inn, called successively Heath View, Earlsmead, and Old Court House.
The advertisement for Old Court House in 1839, a detached residence with extensive views, suitable for a 'family of respectability', could have applied to any of the houses along North End Way.
The Old Court House was used as an estate office during the 1850s and 1860s although there is no evidence that courts were held there.
The other houses continued as substantial family homes
The Old Court House survived, a square building with a central portico and wings, dating from the early 18th century.
It was refaced later in the century; it was converted to old people's flats in the 1960s.
(Click on a picture below to show an enlarged image)