SOUTHWOOD LANE ~
Runs from Highgate High Street (by North Road) to the Archway Road (near Highgate Underground Station)
There are a couple of interesting buildings.
The first is at 50, Southgate Lane...
(A blue plaque notifies the visitor that Arthur Waley (1889 to 1966) lived here.
Arthur Waley's married his second wife, Alison Robinson in 1966 and she lived on to an hundred years, after Waley's death, at their Highgate home.
Waley was a poet and famous for his translation of Oriental poetry.)
At 27, Southwood Lane are interesting former alms-houses.
Sir John Wollaston (1658) built six alms-houses at the south end of Southwood Lane for six paupers living at Hornsey or Highgate in Hornsey.
He willed that the governers of Chomley's School should nominate the inmates.
The Wollaston alms-houses had decayed by 1722 and Edward Pauncefort rebuilt them as part of a range of twelve single-storeyed alms-houses, in the centre of which stood the schoolmistress's house and the schoolroom of the girls' charity school.
Wollaston's six alms-houses and Pauncefort's six were regarded as separate.