SPRINGETT'S WOOD - HAMPSTEAD HEATH - 2016***

Hampstead
Heath
2017
Go to content

Main menu:

SPRINGETT'S WOOD

Springett's Wood~

A small area of reclaimed "Elms" land which is reached through a small iron gate on the east side of the Hockey Field, above the actual Kenwood Elms Gate.

It was originally secured from the St. Columba's estate.

Kate Springett, by profession a milliner, was the late Recorder of Birds on Hampstead Heath for the Greater London Council, a knowledgeable ornithologist who devoted her life to encouraging others to appreciate local wild life.

She often led educational tours of The Heath and was a founder of The Marylebone Birdwatching Society

She persuaded the authorities to build the 'kingfishers wall' at Highgate Bird Sanctuary Pond, where kingfishers do now breed.

(see the City-Of_London Map to establish its exact whereabouts)

In 2005, a memorial bench was commissioned for Kate Springett (1906-1995).
The bench was carved from a section of windblown oak on The Heath.

The ornamental bird motifs and lettering were created by Kate Pyper
The bench is through the gate in the Conservation area at the right of The Hockey Field

Springett's Wood Preservation Area
Back to content | Back to main menu